Thursday, February 11, 2010

Don't mind the trimmings/You should have read faster

So, November 2009 was a long time ago. My 50,000 words of National Novel Writing Month have been up here since then. I've taken it down now (all except the first chapter), and I'm working on turning "In the Valley of the Tempest" into a saga. At the moment it's shaping up to be a quadrilogy.

I started writing the first novel of the series in an even more casual fashion than I did for the original in NaNoWriMo. With little planning. Bad mistake. Bad mistake. Since then I've been working on filling out the plot synopses for the books. I've done very brief chapter summaries for the first three books, and I should have the fourth done soon. To be honest, when I start talking about it, I get itching to get writing on it. But I also know that I'm a long way off being ready for take deux. I want something respectable, something publishable. And I know that won't happen overnight. So once the brief chapter synopses are done I'm going to work on character profiles, the world's geography, as well as notes on technology/economics/etc and other such things that'll enable me to keep everything consistent, which in turn will allow me to focus on other such items as a punchy plot and enriching character developments.

In my notes so far, it's all action plot. One/two lines of notes per chapter (probably about 10-20 pages). That's so I leave a lot of room for other important novel-driving issues. Basically, my novels follow the crew of one airship as they fly headfirst into a war between the civilised cities and the Tempest (aided by the many rebel camps/armies gathering). I'm yet to find the real motivating factor that'll stir up these high tensioned battlefields, but I know there'll be plenty of confrontation and conflict. Until I work everything out, I won't have a novel to work with, but it should all come together in my notes very soon, and I'll get the keyboard rolling words out by the thousands once again.

Look out for book one; "Stormbringer" in bookstores over the coming years. I know it's tough to 'make it' in the writing industry nowdays, but I've got two things I think I can hold to my advantage; confidence and persistence. I figure that if I can't even back myself, how am I to expect agents or publishers to bite at my literature?

4 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. actually you have three things. #3 is support.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haha, yeah. All my loyal fans of the internet. They will storm bookstores around the world when my books get published. ;)

    ReplyDelete